Mana Whenua / Ngāi Tahu Cultural History
“Ōtautahi | Christchurch lies within the Takiwā of Ngāi Tūāhuriri who exercise Rangatiratanga and Kaitiakitanga over the wider Christchurch area.
Ōtautahi is of high significance to Ngāi Tūāhuriri and also Ngāi Tahu whānui due to historical occupation, use of natural resources and numerous occupations to sites of significance.
Traditionally Ōtautahi was used for Mahinga Kai, trade, occupation and transport. The historical and current values within the residential red zone and wider areas are based predominantly on Mahinga Kai, Wāhi Taonga and Wāhi Tapu.”
Archaeology and Heritage
“The Replacement Christchurch District Plan identifies historic heritage places and settings which represent cultural and historic themes and activities of importance to the district. Significant historic heritage places with a high degree of authenticity and integrity are listed on a schedule and are subject to rules or provisions that protect them from inappropriate subdivision, use and development.
Archsite is the national inventory of archaeological sites for New Zealand. It incorporates information from the New Zealand Archaeological Association’s Site Recording Scheme. This is a “live” inventory that up-dates as new data is fed in from archaeologists working in the field. The data includes archaeological sites, known archaeological areas and indicative archaeological areas.”
For more detailed information for eight areas below, see the Initial Heritage Assessments prepared by Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga.
– Initial heritage assessment for Wainoni, Avondale and Bexley residential red zones
– Initial heritage assessment for Southshore residential red zone
– Initial Heritage Assessment for Richmond residential red zone
– Initial Heritage Assessment for New Brighton residential red zone
– Initial Heritage Assessment for Brooklands residential red zone
– Initial Heritage Assessment for Dallington and Horseshoe Lake residential red zone
– Initial Heritage Assessment for Avonside residential red zone
– Initial Heritage Assessment for Avon Loop residential red zone